Pitfield doubts she’ll run again after Ward 29 loss

Pitfield doubts she’ll run again after Ward 29 loss

Bookmark and Share

Veronica Blake
Posted 26 October 2010

http://www.torontoobserver.ca/2010/10/26/pitfield-doubts-shell-run-again-after-ward-29-loss/

Veronica Blake/Toronto Observer
Jane Pitfield with supporters, including retiring councillor Case Ootes, at her post-election party.

Jane Pitfield thinks that NDP endorsements contributed to her loss in Ward 29.

She finished second in the Ward 29/Toronto-Danforth race with 28 per cent of the vote. Mary Fragedakis was the clear winner, garnering 42 per cent of ballots cast. Newcomer Fragedakis received endorsements from local NDP politicians, including Jack Layton, the federal NDP leader and Toronto-Danforth MP.

“I think I underestimated the strength of the NDP in Ward 29,” Pitfield said. “They were well organized.… I personally do not use political endorsements, because I am not with a political party. I have always felt that a candidate needs to run on their own steam.”

This race was billed as one to watch after veteran councillor Case Ootes announced his retirement.

“I apologized to Case Ootes tonight — because he managed to beat the NDP by 20 votes last election,” Pitfield said during her concession speech.

Fragedakis also received NDP support from two East York MPPs, Peter Tabuns from Toronto-Danforth and Michael Prue from Beaches-East York.

Chris Yaccato, Pitfield’s campaign manager, was proud of their campaign and wasn’t surprised by the uphill battle they faced.

“The NDP wanted this ward, they sought it and they coveted it,” Yaccato said.

Another factor in the race was Jennifer Wood, who received 24 per cent of the vote. Pitfield’s supporters felt Wood split the vote, which handed Fragedakis her victory, apparent shortly after the polls closed. Fragedakis took an early lead and never looked back — finishing with 7,430 votes, while Pitfield took 4,966 and Wood followed close behind with 4,269.

“If it had been a one-on-one race we would have probably seen some different results,” Yaccato said. “But Jennifer, she ran because she cared for her community, and nobody should be stopped for that.”

Controversy arose on Oct. 14, when Rita Smith, a volunteer for Pitfield, sent an e-mail to Wood urging her to drop out of the race.

“I take some satisfaction in the fact that I did place second (over) Jennifer,” Pitfield said during her concession speech.

“My letter to Jennifer was right!” Smith said during the speech.

Jane Pitfield has been absent from politics since her unsuccessful run against David Miller in the 2006 mayoral race. While she says she’ll always be involved in the community, she doubts that she’ll run for formal office again.

“I would be surprised,” Pitfield said. “I only think one day at a time.”

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Pitfield doubts she’ll run again after Ward 29 loss

  1. Mariu Capote says:

    This is to Jane Pitfield regarding your comment of ” I take some satisfaction in the fact that I did place second (over) Jennifer,” Pitfield said during her concession speech.
    Well, you are the politician, you are the one with experienced, taking satisfaction about hardly, winning by just a 500 votes over a total newcomer like Jennifer Wood and getting elections also from a total newcomer should be a clear indication that people in this ward don’t want to be represented by somebody that doesn’t live in the ward. Remember more than 66% of the residents did not want you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s